Aberdeen M100 Wireless Vehicle Detection
Aberdeen City Council was finding that within the city the life of the inductive loop could be as little as 3 to 5 years. The primary causes of failure were identified as typically being: damage from road works, such as by the utility and or communication installation companies cutting through loops as they install or maintain their own services; or general degradation of aging road surfaces.
Aberdeen City Council also advised: depending on how the inductive loop is repaired can also create lifespan issues for them. If the loop is jointed (no more than three joints per loop as per specification) they tend to have ongoing intermittent failures from the time that they are jointed. If the loop is fully re-cut this can also cause issues with the slots being cut close to the old loop that can further result in a weaker road surface that is likely to cause premature failure of the newly installed loops and therefore the cycle continues.
With expensive costs and time consuming traffic management of road or lane closures to repair and/or replace inductive loops this further increases lifetime costs.
8 installations, 7 being full traffic signalised intersections and 1 Toucan pedestrian crossing have been upgraded utilising Golden River M100 magnetometers for SCOOT detection, a total to date of 52 detectors. 8 detectors are in use for stop line SCOOT detection with the remaining on advanced entry and exit detection.
Reducing lifetime costs was the primary driver for the use of the Golden River M100 wireless detection system and 70% of the installed detectors were replacing faulty inductive loops. The remaining 30% were for new additional detection with the furthest advanced detection from a stop line being 160m.